Best armor upgrades to get started (and why)
In addition to finding and purchasing armor pieces, Shepard can research armor upgrades in Mass Effect 2. There are certain upgrades that need to be prioritized.
Throughout the main story of Mass effect 2, Shepard will encounter potential new upgrades to weapons, armor, teammates, and even Normandy itself. The leveling system in Mass effect 2 is accessible via the Tech Lab on Normandy. To unlock it, players will need to recruit Mordin Solus on Omega. The Tech Lab Terminal allows Shepard to see all available upgrades and research them using rare minerals. Some upgrade blueprints can be purchased from hub vendors like Omega, Citadel, Tuchanka, and Illium, or found during missions. Others come from teammates’ suggestions or from having upgraded enough Weapons and Armor categories.
Click the button below to start this article in quick view.
The Armor Enhancement section of the Mass effect 2 The upgrade interface includes options that increase protection against damage and make the Unity ability more powerful and powerful. There are also buffs that improve the biotic and tech abilities of teammates, making them stronger and more powerful. With so many options available, it can be difficult to know what to prioritize, especially early in the game when they have fewer resources and scarce credits to work on. Here are the best armor upgrades to look for first Mass effect 2.
Best armor upgrades to start early in Mass Effect 2
The order in which Shepard unlocks armor upgrades in Mass effect 2 tends to vary based on the purchases they make and the order in which they complete team member recruitments and loyalty assignments. It is important to note that these upgrades are different from the various pieces of armor that Shepard can loot or buy from vendors during the game. These pieces and sets also have properties to increase health, protection from damage, shields or otherwise increase technological and biotic capabilities, but they are separate from the technological lab improvements.
From the start of the game, players should always prioritize Medi-Gel Damage Protection and Carrying Capacity upgrades. These two upgrades help unlock the best and most powerful armor upgrades in the game. There are six possible damage protection upgrades and research Medi-Gel ability upgrades. Once players find or purchase the upgrade, Damage Protection upgrades gradually cost increasing amounts of Palladium, and Medi-Gel ability upgrades cost Research Platinum.
After two to three Damage Protection and Medi-Gel ability upgrades, Shepard unlocks the next most important armor upgrades. These should be unlocked as quickly as possible for maximum benefit when using Unity:
- Trauma module (medical VI): The unit heals the team in full health; 15000 Platinum
- Emergency Shield (Shield Harmonics): Unit restores full shields to 25,000 Platinum team members
- Hard Shields (Nanocrystal Shield): Reduces damage taken by Shepard’s shields by 20%; 25,000 palladium
With these upgrades, Shepard can also optionally use Unity in Mass effect 2 the same way they used first aid Mass Effect to quickly restore health for themselves and their teammates in battle.
Next, Shepard can prioritize improving the team’s biotic and tech powers. Biotic Amp and Omni-Tool upgrades are good for increasing ability damage. These work not only for Shepard, but also for the whole team. These upgrades include:
- Tech Damage 1-6 (multicore amplifier): Increases Tech Power damage for the entire team by 10% with each upgrade; 500+ element zero
- Biotic Damage 1-6 (Hyper-Amp): Increases biotic power damage for the whole team by 10% with each upgrade; 500+ element zero
While not as high a priority, players can also upgrade Omni-Tools and Biotic Amps to increase ability duration and reduce cooldowns. Mass effect 2. Additionally, they may want to invest in Redundant Field Generator when they have spare Palladium. While not the best armor upgrade, this upgrade has the ability to double Shepard’s shields whenever an enemy passes through one. While it’s hard to predict when a new shield will regenerate, it can be good to have on hand just in case. Lower priority upgrades appear below:
- Technical recharge time (Hydra module): Makes team Tech Power cooldown 20% faster; 5000 element zero
- Biotic recharge time (smart amplifier): Makes the team’s Biotic Power cooldown 20% faster; 5000 element zero
- Technical duration (custom heuristic): Increases the duration of squad tech powers by 20%; 3000 element zero
- Biotic duration (neural mask): Increases the duration of squad biotic powers by 20%; 3000 element zero
- Redundant field generator (burst regeneration): Shepard’s shields have a chance to restore completely instantly when depleted; 15,000 Palladium.
Players ultimately need to make sure to prioritize and de-prioritize what works best for their unique playstyle, especially with this latter group of armor upgrades.
Next: Mass Effect 2: The Best Prototypes To Look For First (& Why)
Mass Effect: legendary edition is available for PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X / S.
Animal Crossing players’ ring cosplay is simple yet creepy
About the Author